The lawyer for the Pelosi “attacker” speaks for first time2 minute read
David DePape, 42, is the alleged attacker of Paul Pelosi, husband of Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi.
Short recap from apnews.com: In a chilling federal complaint, officials say David DePape, 42, carrying zip ties, tape, and a rope in a backpack, broke into the couple’s San Francisco home early Friday morning, went upstairs where 82-year-old Paul Pelosi was sleeping, and demanded to talk to “Nancy.”
DePape is currently in custody. He was appointed a public defender – Adam Lipson – earlier today. Lipson took to the podium earlier to make a few statements and answer some questions from the press.
“As of right now, I haven’t even seen the police reports. I met my client last night for a brief meeting, for the first time,” Lipson said.
Moments later Lipson continued: “I just want to say, I’ve been a public defender for twenty years. I cherish my role as a Public defender. As most of you know, we represent people who can’t afford to hire a lawyer. I look forward to representing Mr. DePape, [and] providing a vigorous defense for him, and to get to an equitable and just for this matter,” the attorney said leaving out all the “um’s, uh’s” and long pauses mid-sentence.
A few takeaways from the presser:
- DePape’s shoulder was dislocated during the arrest.
- He’s currently in county jail.
- An evaluation of DePape’s mental state and motives will be done.
- A reporter asked Lipson about the sexual abuse allegations DePape’s daughter has reportedly made. Lipson said he has no information on that.
- DePape is currently being held without bail and Friday is the preliminary hearing.